Thursday, October 22, 2009

New York Fries


Hey, I'm in Banff doing a residency for 3 weeks. So, from what I've heard there were no Indian settlements in Banff. There were trading paths and short stays for ceremonies but no settlements. How apropos then that the Banff Centre is here. It's a bit sad to stay and see people go but so is the nature of transience. I'm working on a few things; I'm editing a music video I directed for the Junior Boys for the song Bits and Pieces which is coming along nicely. I'm also working on my documentary called Children of the King about children of Elvis impersonators.
My dad was recently in an ad for New York Fries as Elvis. I know, it's funny. The ad reads "Real fries in a fake world." I googled it and found the image but I also found some strange controversy around the ad from an Elvis fan club in Regina. Very random. They had an issue with how the ad could be read as defamation to the name of Elvis Presley but seriously guys Elvis had no problem defaming his own name. He became a parody of himself which is actually the opposite of what Elvis impersonators are. Impersonation at least from where my dad is coming from is earnest and crazy sincere. And i think that's why people love it. Or at least see something truthful behind a man in a rhinestone jumpsuit.
Add Image

1 comment:

  1. This is tooooo goooood.


    I can't wait to see what you have been working on. Most anticipated doc of the year for me.

    XO

    ReplyDelete

Followers